Most recent

I dug my own grave

I always have dreams almost every night (falling or jumping from high places, losing all my teeth,  dreaming of being late at school, etc) but this dream is different. It's like I’m aware I’m dreaming but there’s nothing I can do to wake up or to make it stop. I was 15 or 16 at the time. I was in a boarding house near my school and I have 4 roommates. The 4 of us share the same room, the room has 2 bunk beds. We have our own restroom and a kitchen. For 4 - 5 days I keep on dreaming of my college Professor whom I dislike. He is so bossy and loves to order us around to do things that are not school related. In my dream, he’s shouting at me and ordering me to carry different things. On the first night, I was carrying a lot of books. Next night I was carrying garden tools like a shovel, watering can, gloves, and plant seeds. This continued for 2 - 3 nights and every time I woke up my arms hurt and they were shaking as if I carried heavy stuff. I am so confused why am I dreaming of him!

How does anxiety develop?



Based on the research of Alvarado Parkway Institute behavioral health system

Anxiety disorders are forged over years of experiences. In fact, any experience you’ve ever had can cause an anxiety disorder. And, despite how common they are, the specific causes of this mental illness are still unknown. What studies do show, though, is that anxiety disorders appear to run in families. However, as with most mental illnesses, researchers believe anxiety is caused by more than just genetics. Anxiety disorders likely develop from a complex set of risk factors including brain chemistry, personality, and life events.

Less commonly, medical conditions are known to cause anxiety disorders. Heart disease, diabetes, seizures, thyroid problems, asthma, drug abuse and withdrawal, rare tumors that produce certain “fight or flight” hormones, and muscle cramps or spasms are all possible medical causes of anxiety. Most anxiety disorders develop in childhood and young adulthood. Therefore, if an anxiety disorder develops later in life, a medical condition is likely the source.


Studies also suggest that a person’s environment can cause anxiety and, in some cases, may trigger anxiety disorders by themselves. Long-term stress, like one would experience in an unhealthy relationship or at a particularly stressful job, can lead to anxiety disorders. One’s upbringing and life experiences can contribute, too. Other environmental factors include trauma, especially in those with PTSD, change, such as with a significant move or a divorce, and abuse or neglect.


Anxiety disorders are incredibly complex and finding out the exact reasons why you have one can be difficult. However, the most important thing to understand is that no matter what causes your anxiety, it can always be treated.


Here are four types of mind set that are dragging you down



1. Negative self-talk.


Leading behavioral researchers have found that up to 77% of everything you think and say to yourself is negative and counterproductive. This undoubtedly has consequences. Most of times you kept on thinking it's always a 'no' because you always think you are not good enough for the things that you are doing. Self talk is the common cause of anxiety it's a mix of lack of confidence and moral as a person, giving the self doubt to all the task that you are doing. 



2. Unrealistic expectations.

Thinking that when you wear a special dress everyone will be astound and as if the time stops. Things that happen in  movies doesn't apply to the real world.  


3. Thinking you "need to."


Ever felt like you need to be like this and like that because most the people that I know do this and do that?
For example: I need to loose wait because it's already summer, I need to be on vacation and travel overseas because my colleagues are travelling and posting lots of photos online. You are obligating yourself to think that you need to do those things and when you ended up not getting what you aim it will lead you to depression and anxiety.


4. Taking things too personally.

Have you ever gone to work to find your boss disgruntled and irritated? Maybe you felt like he or she glared at you or walked right past you without saying hello? Did you slink away from the office fretting over what you did wrong for the rest of the day?

The truth is that it probably isn’t actually anything you did. Your boss might have gotten a traffic ticket on the way to work, or maybe got into a spat with his or her spouse that morning.

Don’t take anything too personally. You never know what is going on with the other person and let’s face it, taking things personally just makes you feel bad about yourself. If you truly suspect someone is acting out because of something you did, ask them about it instead of letting neurotic assumptions feed your anxiety.

Your mind is programmed to believe whatever it is told the most. So if you constantly engage in negative self-talk, expect too much of yourself and others, believe that you “should” do something in order to feel good about yourself or worry that everyone has it out for you — well, my friend, your brain will simply act out accordingly.

How you frame your thoughts might be the key to unlocking the door to the happy, anxiety-free life you wish for yourself. Happy thinking!

*** Note: The information on this post are from different medical web pages. The links are available so you can go directly to there page for more information.


Comments